F. K. FORSON received his BSc. and MSc. Degrees in Mechanical Engineering in 1983 and 1994, respectively, specialising in Thermo-fluids and Energy Systems Engineering from the University of Science and Technology, Kumasi (UST) now Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi-Ghana. He received his PhD degree in 1999 from the De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom.
He worked with the Department of Mechanical Engineering from November 01, 1982, to September 30, 1984, as a National Service Person. He subsequently joined the Department as an academic staff as an Assistant Lecturer on October 01, 1984, and has since been with the Department rising through the ranks to get to the position of Professor.
Prof. F K. FORSON has served KNUST in a couple of academic and other responsibilities as listed below:
- March 04, 2004, to December 31, 2004; Head, KNUST Security Services
- February 01, 2005 to September 30, 2006; Head, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- October 01, 2006 to September 30, 2007; Dean, Faculty of Mechanical and Agricultural Engineering
- January 01, 2006 to December 31, 2007; University Council Member as Convocation Non-Professorial Representative
- August 01, 2010 to July 31, 2012; Head, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- August 01, 2015 to July 31, 2017; Head, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Prof. F. K. FORSON has chaired as well served on numerous statutory and non-statutory committees of KNUST.
Prof. Francis Kofi Forson has published numerous research papers in the area of Thermo-fluids and Energy Systems in internal peer-reviewed journals like Ambient Energy, Energy Conversion and Management, Renewable Energy and Solar Energy.
F. K. FORSON has lectured in the following courses over the period of his service with the University: Applied Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Internal Combustion Engines; Fluid Mechanics, Theory of Machines, Thermodynamics I and II, and Strength of Materials at the undergraduate level; and in Advanced Thermodynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer and Engineering Research Methods at the postgraduate level. F. k. FORSON has a wide range of experience in the teaching of Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer at both graduate and undergraduate levels
F.K. FORSON is currently a Professor of Thermal Sciences in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, KNUST, Kumasi- Ghana.