ACHIEVEMENTS AS URO OF KNUST
- Developed Strategic Communication plan for the unit,
- Set up crisis communication team with the Dean of students, Head of University Security, URO, the VC, and Registrar as members. This team meets regularly as demanded by duty and assesses issues/crisis and makes appropriate decisions for the blessings of the VC. This team has worked tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure peace and tranquillity in the University community.
- Improved the overall image of the University
- Set up clear guidelines for media engagement between staff and outside media. This guideline clearly outlines who speaks on what.
- Improved the relationship between the Media and Institution. The unit has held 4 media engagements with the Media in the Ashanti region and Greater Accra to build more productive relationships that could champion the agenda of the University more effectively. Thankfully, this collaboration has yielded fruits such that negative publicity has been reduced drastically. We have created a common WhatsApp platform for the media in Kumasi, Accra, and Obuasi for easy and effective interaction,
- Trained campus bloggers who mostly are in hurry to break news devoid of its implications on the University’s brand.
- We have also developed a policy to capture all events and news and publish them within 24 hours after any event.
- We have developed strategies to attract more followership on our social media platforms and have created additional platforms i.e. Flicker account and YouTube.
- Developed a more comprehensive crisis communication policy for the University, after which the relevant stakeholders will be trained.
- Developed Advertising and Sponsorship Manual for the University.
- Introduced TEKBRIEF (E-Newsletter) to enhance staff visits to the main University Website.
- Improved visibility through social media; Twitter following grew from 2,300 in 2019 to over 40,000 in 2021; Facebook following grew from 36,500 to 159,889, Instagram flowing grew from 1,642 to 6,525 and its YouTube channel has over 11 thousand subscribers.
- Organized training for staff and volunteers of Focus FM, TEK TV, and allied media platforms.
- Trained SRC Executives and Hall Administrators on the Use of social media
- Developed a clear Marketing/Visibility Strategy for the University.