- ACADEMIC BIO : MR. CHRISTIAN AMOAH
CHRISTIAN AMOAH is a lecturer with the Department of Behavioral Sciences, with specialization in Clinical Psychology at the School of Medical Sciences and Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) for that matter. He earned his B.Sc. and M.Phil. in Psychology (Clinical option) in 1993 and 1999 respectively from the University of Ghana. He joined the department in December, 2002 and is the immediate past head of department (2010 – 2012).
AREA OF EXPERTISE:
He is a senior Consulting Clinical Psychologist in the Department Psychiatry under the directorate of Medicine at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH). His services generally include Psycho diagnostics/ psychometric assessments; individual and group psychotherapy and counseling. He thus counsels and provides preventive as well as follow – up psychotherapy for suicidal patients. He also provides liaison and adjunct psychotherapy for patients on the medical, surgical wards and Accident and emergency center at KATH. He has a great expertise in stress management, family therapy and crisis intervention. He is also very good with provision of psychotherapy for all kinds of addiction especially drug.
Also as a Consulting Clinical Psychologist he has for over fourteen years been devoting much of his waking hours to providing counseling and psychotherapeutic services for patients of varying age groups from all over the teaching Hospital, K.N.U.S.T and Kumasi metropolis. He has thus provided counseling services for patients who attempt suicide, patients undergoing surgery and/or needing emergency procedure at the accident and emergency center at KATH and patients having difficulty accepting and following treatment regimes. In individual therapy he mainly provides Cognitive Behavioral therapy (CBT) for patients experiencing all kinds of symptoms including anxiety, mood disorders and psychosomatic symptoms. Moreover he provides support in terms of family and marital therapy as well as stress management sessions and other psychotherapy for patients, staff and relatives of both KATH and KNUST.
As part of my work as a consulting psychologist I do answer a lot of referral questions with psychological assessments (psychometrics) from various consultants in KATH. Some of these questions have been to help with some diagnosis, measurement of treatment outcomes and for placement of children with mental disability in various mental institutions.
TEACHING AND RESEARCH INTERESTS:
He has since joining the department been handling Behavioral Sciences at the School of Medical Sciences. He also has been contributing to his department’s service teaching by handling Behavioral Sciences for Nursing, Laboratory Technology and Sports and Exercise Science in the Faculty of Allied Health as well as recently MSc audiology (2015/16) in the EENT department, KATH. He also lectures Human Psychology for Doctor of Optometry in the Faculty of Sciences till date.
His academic/ research interests include but not limited to:
- Counseling Support for Infertile Couple receiving In – vitro Fertilization (IVF) services (Current PhD Thesis)
- Internet Addiction (Ongoing research)
- Risky HIV cognitions (ideas, behaviors, and attitudes etc.) in Ghanaian youth – the case of Senior Secondary Schools (SSS) Students in Kumasi (ongoing)
- Children and Adolescents with HIV/ AIDs in Ghana etc
- Behavioral change (for motor traffic accidents, corruption, HIV/ AIDs prevention etc.) and Preventive Health Behaviors
- Cognitive Behavioral therapy for Anxiety disorders and Drug addiction,
- Psychometrics (test standardization) and Stress management
- Music therapy; Exploring the healing properties of Music and as an adjunct therapy
- Counseling Support for Childless Couples and patient undergoing IVF
- Stress, coping and Counseling Support
Currently working on research for PhD in the area of HIV prevention in the youth in Ghana titled
Psychological stresses associated with in- vitro Fertilization (IVF), Perception of control and coping in a developing nation.
- TEACHING LOAD
COURSES FACULTY COURSE TITLE COURSE CODE
- Behavioral Sciences SMS, Human Biology 3 PERSONALITY SMS 354
- Behavioral Sciences SMS, Human Biology 1 FOUNDATION OF BEH SC. SMS 154
- Behavioral Sciences Allied, Gen. Nursing 2 BEHAVIOURAL SC 2 SSN 253
- Behavioral Sciences Allied, Midwiffery 2 BEHAVIOURAL SC 2 SSN 253
- Behavioural Sciences Allied, Emergency Nur 2 BEHAVIOURAL SC 2 SSN 253
- Human Psychology Science, Optometry Human Psychology OPT 156
Clinical Teaching (S.M.S Part II Students) at KATH
- STUDENTS ENROLLMENT AT THE UNDERGRADUATE AND POST GRADUATE LEVELS
Same as School of Medical Sciences, College of Health, KNUST.
- EQUALITY IN ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES (MALE – FEMALE RATIO)
Same as School of Medical Sciences, College of Health, KNUST
- DEPARTMENTAL INCOME / GRANT
- RESEARCH OUTPUT
Enimil, A.,Nugent. N., Amoah. C., Norman, B., Antwi, S.,Ocran,J., Kwara, A., and Barker, D.H (2015) ; Quality of life among Ghanaian adolescents living with perinatally acquired HIV: a mixed methods study, AIDS Care, DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2015.1114997
- COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Head of Department (2010 – 2012)
- Acting Head of Dept., Nursing Department (Faculty of Allied Health) from March – September, 2008
- Coordinator for School of Medical Sciences’ Tutorial Mentoring Program till date.
- Provides Counseling and Individual Psychotherapy for some K.N.U.S.T students (especially SMS and Pharmacy) who find it difficult to seek help from the University Counseling Unit
- Departmental Examinations officer form 2004 – 2012 and 2016/17 academic year to date.
- Served as a reviewer for a proposal for funding titled “INTIMATE PARTNER VIOLENCE AMONG HIV POSITIVE WOMEN IN ASHANTI REGION GHANA presented to KNUST Research Fund (KRef) at the KNUST Office of Grant and Research ; December 2015
and moderated several Psychology Examinations from KNUST affiliated Institutions
- Part of a committee to review Ghana Medical and Dental Council Fitness to Practice Document set up by the Dean, School of Medical Sciences in June 2012.
- Part of the initial Committee set up by the College of Health Sciences to set up Emergency Nursing with Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital
- Part of the initial Committee to review Affiliation of Rapha Nursing School, Ayeduase for affiliation to KNUST.
- Sound engineer/ consultant and Organist for KNUST Presbyterian Church (Christ Congregation) to date.
MOBILE : +233 265 511 399
EMAIL : email@example.com